We have all heard of both Oracle Cloud and Amazon Web Services and the very next question that arises is which one is better? Which one to choose? Whereas Oracle has the strength of a complete cloud stack and has superior performance, AWS offers infrastructure, the richest suite of public cloud. So, lets start with the basics and then understand which one between Oracle Cloud and Amazon Web Services is better.
What is cloud?
“Cloud” is an ecosystem of global network of servers that have different software and databases running on them all the time. These servers, generally, store data, run applications, deliver content, or can also be used to stream videos, mails etc. Instead of being hooked on a local or personal computer for all the files and the data, cloud lets anyone access anything from anywhere around the world at any point of time. That’s the reason, one can login into social media from any device even when the phone breaks making it easier for the companies that function internationally, providing access of all the data to the employees around the world.
What is cloud computing?
Cloud computing the technology that makes cloud work. It is the delivery of several computing services such as networking, intelligence, and analytics over the internet or cloud. It works on a technology known as virtualization which creates a simulation of a ‘virtual’ workstation. This virtual workstation lets you access data and apps on your local desktop, from anywhere around the world at any point in time. It helps you lower the cost and effort of purchasing, installing, configuring and all other basics that are required when a new business is set up. It improves the agility as enterprises can go to market in minutes.
Benefits of Cloud Computing:
- Cost: Businesses do not have to the bear the expenses of setting up and running the datacenters or even buying hardware and software. It’s a quick set-up.
- Global Scale: The ability to automatically scale the needs, as per the traffic pattern, hence, delivering the right amount of infrastructure at the right time, from the right place.
- Performance: The regular upgrades of the datacenters, that are located worldwide, makes the system both fast and efficient along with reducing the network latency of single corporate datacenters.
- Speed: The pressure of capacity planning is taken care off when arranging and accessing a huge amount of computer resources is just a click away.
- Productivity: Rather than focusing on the management chores such as hardware set up and software patching, businesses get to focus more on the goals and strategies.
- Reliability: Recovery and data backup is easier and less expensive as the data can be mirrored and reproduced.
- Security: With several technologies that control and strengthen the security, keeping all your data and infrastructure safe.
Types of cloud computing
- Public clouds are third-party cloud service provider, who not only manage the hardware, software and the infrastructure but also own the cloud. Microsoft Azure is one such example wherein they deliver computing resources over the Internet. These services can both be accessed and managed using a web browser.
- Private cloud is generally for single business or organization and has its services on a private network which can be located on the company’s on-site datacenter. There are times when private cloud can also be hosted by a third-party service provider.
- Hybrid clouds is a combination of both public and private clouds, that bring the best of both public and private clouds, giving a greater flexibility to businesses along with security and compliance.
Types of cloud services: IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
IaaS is a type of cloud computing that offers the basic building blocks such as access to networking features, computers, data storage space. It lets you bypass the cost as well as the complexity of buying any of the basic building block and allows you to pay only for those services that you need. It reduces the capital expenditure, increases scalability, and enhances security. New features are available with the latest updates and it also prevents data loss.
- Platform as a Service (PaaS)
PaaS eliminates the need to manage underlying infrastructure (usually hardware and operating systems) and allows you to focus on the deployment and management of your applications. Like IaaS, PaaS includes infrastructure along with middleware, development tools, database management services and more. PaaS reduces coding time and provides multiple development options for various platforms.
- Software as a Service (SaaS)
SaaS is a complete package which is run and managed by the service provider. With a SaaS offering, you don’t have to pay any heed to the how part. As in, how the service is maintained, or infrastructure is managed. You pay for only what you use along with that you get free client software
Oracle Cloud vs Amazon Web Services
OCI or Oracle Cloud Infrastructure is a cloud computing platform, whose datacenters are managed by Oracle Corporation, and it combine Platform as a Service (PaaS), Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Software as a Service (SaaS) and Data as a Service (DaaS). It provides a wide range of services such as Cloud for Customer Services, Enterprise Integration, App Development, Data Integration, etc.
Whereas AWS or Amazon Web Services is a subsidiary of Amazon and it offers on demand services and platforms such Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3), Amazon Lambda, and Amazon Connect.
Why choose Oracle Cloud?
The key features of Oracle cloud include:
- Business analytics, Application development, Enterprise integration and Data integration and management.
- Cloud infrastructure setup and maintenance, Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems
- Security solutions focused on safety and compliance.
Pros of Oracle Cloud:
One of the many advantages of Oracle Cloud is that the services and the products offered are a complete package, helping eliminate the need of the businesses to reach out to the third-party solutions and pay any extra wages for the services being provided by them. The other advantages are-
- Oracle offers an integrated package of it services and products, eliminating the need to reach out for third-party services from different vendors
- Customization allows clients to set up the cloud service as per their requirement.
- Cutting-edge technologies that make Oracle’s cloud platform fast, making it standout in the market as well as the high-performance.
- Large industries are always revamping, and Oracle offers an infrastructure that is fully scalable, allowing businesses to increase or decrease the usage of resources as per the requirement.
- Oracle’s cloud is specialized; It takes into consideration the customer requirement and then provides solutions and services accordingly.
- Great customer support who will help you resolve your issue quickly and effectively.
Cons of Oracle Cloud:
The most important disadvantages of Oracle that one should be aware of:
- Since Oracle is focused on the high end, the low-end offering is limited.
- Poor performance with solutions based on .NET.
- Not everyone needs the out-of-the-box services and products provided by Oracle, as some companies need simple functionalities only.
Why choose Amazon Web Services (AWS)?
AWS key features include:
- Support for various databases such as Aurora, RDS, Redshift, DynamoDB
- Support for advanced technologies such as IoT
- Advanced computing functions and developer tools such as AWS Code Build, CodePipeline, CodeDeploy
- Tools that enable monitoring of workloads, configuration, security, and performance.
- Migration tools, Mobile services.
- Top security, identity, and compliance management.
Pros of Amazon Web Services(AWS):
AWS has an excellent track record of successful implementations, and its financial performance attracts even more organizations to its offer.
Here are the key advantages of AWS over competing solutions:
- Amazon offers a wide range of services that range from development tools to security, from migration tools to advanced technologies and large organizations expect a complete package, that Amazon offers.
- A large workforce of consulting partners and independent vendors help with the easy implementation, migration, and management of the services offered by Amazon.
- Security and compliance are taken care off
- Excellent support from the extensive multilingual customer support assures solutions which are effective immediately.
- Data centers around the world to eliminate the risk of local incidents.
- Continuous improvement and development of the AWS platform making the platform and the offered services better with each passing day.
- Pay-as-you-go fee model allows customers to pay for the services that they are currently using and allows them to pay for the additional new ones, later.
Cons of using Amazon Web Services(AWS):
The most relevant disadvantages of AWS
- AWS implementation is complex as it requires a lot of expertise
- The custom based solution provided by AWS is more expensive when compared with AWS-based solution.
Key Differences: Oracle Cloud VS Amazon Web Services(AWS)
Oracle Cloud and Amazon Web Services (AWS) are one of the two biggest players in the market right now, the key differences them are:
- Cost and Payment Model.
AWS is more affordable than Oracle Cloud. Amazon Web Services (AWS) offers a pay-as-you-go fee model whereas Oracle Cloud also offers a pay-as-you-go model where laaS and PaaS services are metered hourly and charged and other Oracle Cloud services are billed at list price.
2. Market Placement
Oracle Cloud entered the market in 2015 whereas Amazon started back in 2006, so Amazon has more experience and market reach.
3. Customer Support
Both Oracle Cloud and AWS offer their cloud solutions, and their customer support relies multiple partners who help users by providing customized solutions and support services based on specific business needs.
Amazon has AWS Partner Network (APN) and it provides AWS-based businesses with technical, marketing, and go-to-market support providing the partners with solutions that are specific to businesses.
Oracle Partner Network (OPN) is very similar as it provides businesses with cloud-based services and allow businesses to focus specifically on the solutions provided by Oracle for implementation as well as resource enablement.
For any further queries regarding Oracle Cloud or AWS or any other assistance, reach out to us at https://satvadesign.com/